The band hails from the small village of Tongwynlais on the outskirts of Cardiff, and was founded in 1888 by banding enthusiasts from the local Melingriffith works. Originally known as the Brooker’s Band, they soon became a part of the thriving local temperance movement, eventually becoming the Tongwynlais Temperance Silver Band, although in the 1920’s the band rehearsed in the long room of the local Lewis Arms public house!
Hardwork and success
The band has have represented Wales in the British Open, the National Finals and the European Championship. It is in their home community of North Cardiff that the band is happiest however, as it works to develop the next generation of musicians through the Tongwynlais Music Academy, its partnership with local tutors to deliver music education and in expanding its range of community events.